Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Ugly living & a big ol' mess ... WRECKED by Jeff Goins


The man came out of the guest room reeking of alcohol and slurred his words. He talked loudly. He had told me earlier in the weeks behind us that he had been sober for 10 months. It was a lie. I called him on it. I asked where all his money had gone. There wasn't an answer. I asked where did you go all night? There wasn't an answer. 1 Peter 4 tells us to love deeply and that LOVE covers a multitude of sins; of which I completely understand ~ where would the humbleness, remorse and grief begin to appear I wondered? .

I shared with him we had a God that was much bigger than alcoholism and any other circumstance we find ourselves in. I asked him to give God another chance. I know he heard my words, but I know he didn't want to hear my words anymore at this point in his life.  And so, I begin to beg God (again!) as to be gentle with all of them and to capture his heart & devotion. God wants us to come just as we are. He says "Come to me and I will make you new." "That God will restore the years that the locust have eaten."

It won't be easy but God promises to hold us. "Do not fear, do not be dismayed for I am your God, I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my Righteous Right Hand." Isaiah 42:10

Life can be so messy when we take our eyes off Jesus. But Jesus doesn't leave, we do. He is always there, waiting with open arms. So shouldn't we do the same. Standing and confronting a drunk man in love is not in my comfort zone. But then Jesus hanging on the cross for my sins was not in His comfort zone either. But He did it. He didn't walk away. We don't like to hear the dirty, messy tales of lives, but they are all over the place.  NOT sure where my story ends ... I know Who wins, I just don't have the glory yet ... waiting for the prodigals to return home to their Dad.

Yes, life is messy if your eyes are open and you choose to look. It's dirty and heartbreaking and in the mess, blessings and grace abound!

From Jeff Goins, the author of Wrecked, "When a Broken World Slams into Your Comfortable Life
Go for broke. Choose the hard option. Do what comfort screams "no"to - what will ultimately shape you and help others. It my be counterintuitive or against what you've been taught, but do it anyway. Step into inconvenience. Welcome the anxiety that comes with doing the right choice. And be wrecked.
This is the only kind of wreck I know of where we should actually go out looking for. And in the frustration and mess and tears  . . . there is love  . . . incredible, unconditional love!"

http://wreckedthebook.com

Go on . . . get wrecked!
I did and I wouldn't go back and change it.  It's a journey & process in the making ~
If you have any inkling of stepping into inconvience and getting wrecked and being blessed, then I highly recommend you read this book.

If you do, please share with me, I would love to hear!  I'd gladly re-read it alongside of you also ~ just let me know.

No comments: